Saturday, December 22, 2012

12/21/12 - Waiting for the Mother Ship...

We had decided a few weeks ago that if the world was going to end on 12/21/12, we surely wanted to go out with friends and family.  So we decided to build a big-ass bonfire and have some people over.

About 5:30 Ival started the bonfire.

About 6:15 Nancy, Butch and Penny had arrived.


At 6:30, so did the Fire Department...

We had invited people to come over about 6:30 so I was inside finishing up some cookies I had taken out of the box made when my sister came strolling in and said, "You might want to come outside.  The Fire Department is here."

"Ahahahahahahaha! Right."

"No really.  The Fire Department is HERE!"

I started to rush outside - Ival was out back getting more firewood - then ran back to get my camera.  If they really were here - I wanted pictures!

I got outside just in time to see the firetruck pull off Cartwright, turn off their lights and sirens and pull down the driveway.  COOL!

They came over to the fire and said they had received "numerous" calls about a fire.  In fact, they had 6 trucks en route.  Get outta here!  HOLY CRAP THIS IS GETTING BETTER BY THE MINUTE!

They asked what we were doing and we proceeded to tell them we were "Waiting for the Mother Ship."  DUH!   

We talked for a while, they asked if we had a permit - they obviously don't know us.  We talked some more about waiting for the Mother Ship and they talked about how they wished they could stay.  They told us it is illegal to burn construction waste and were sure we wouldn't be putting any more of that on the fire. Right-0.

 Luckily, we had our shovel and hose right there.  I think they enjoyed the ride out as they said they were "bored anyway."

They really were nice and it only made the night a lot more interesting!  Then, just like Santa, they disappeared as quickly as they had come.



As it turned out, we had a wonderful night with family and friends.  Telling stories, laughing, and just enjoying the evening.



Ric and Cheryl, I'm soooo glad you guys came!  It was great to see you and Cheryl I miss that laugh of yours.  Ric, I need those picutes of the Mother Ship!

I'm told that the Mother Ship did pass by, several people got pictures, but again, I was inside at the time.
I'm assuming none of us below were "worthy" as no one at the fire was taken up.

However, I'm wondering if I didn't catch an alien life form here...



UPDATE:  Here are the pictures Ric took of the Mother Ship



What a fun night with some of the best people on the planet.  Since I wasn't taken up, today I get to watch the Broncos play in the bowl game with mom.  Life really is good.


4 comments:

JACKI said...

BAHAHAHAHAAA!!! Only you... only you... ;o)

NancyAnne said...

It was great fun! You Turner's sure know how to throw a party!!

Jodi said...

I'm thinking Nancy, that we'd better start planning the next one. It gives us all something to look forward to!

Jacki, remember - you are sooo much like your mother. It could have been you!

Dee said...


The greatest thing about your parties, you don't plan events, they just HAPPEN. Always a surprise, and you never know how many people will show up---but they do and everyone adds to the fun.

It was great and darn----I got there AFTER the fire trucks left---I MISSED it all. bahhhhhhhhh