Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Final Post, 30 Years... Day 30/30

It's been difficult to decide what to do for this last post. I don't want it to be sad as this was such a wonderful project to take on.

I hope it has given family and friends a better idea of who Bill Pogue was, both in his professional and family lives. I hope in some small way, these stories have made an impact on you. I hope, as well, it has helped you understand the dangers that Game Wardens face each and every day while making very little pay, and better understand WHY they would face such dangers and do it with dedication seen in very few professions. Game Wardens are a unique breed and I'm so proud and happy that our family has been a part of such a wonderful group of people.

Dad had so many sides to him that we will never forget. He was probably no better or no worse than most people on this huge planet, but he provided us with many, many wonderful memories...



I hope that now our children and grandchildren will understand and know in some small way, the wonderful man they should have had the chance to love.



Thank you all for being a part of this wonderful opportunity we had to remember the good times, laugh about the funny things, and most of all share dad's life.

Today, January 5th, we will get together with Cheri Elms, as we do every year to remember dad and Conley. We miss you dad, but thanks for the wonderful memories...

14 comments:

Linda said...

Thank you sister. It was a wonderful project.

Jodi said...

I'm going to go through all my stuff before you girls get here next week and see if I can find more pictures we can go through!

JACKI said...

this was a cool project you did. I loved reading all of the stories! I sure wish all of us grandkids could have actually known him... instead of just stories about him.

Casey said...

Thank you for posting this, Jodi. Matt sat and read through every word last night, and he got a lot of good laughs out of those stories.

Have a GOOD day.

kate said...

Beautiful. This has been so wonderful to read and I've LOVED hearing the stories that are new to me.

Wish Lala and I could be there today. 30 years....I just can't believe it.

Dee said...

I believe you accomplished what you set out to do, Jodi. You gave us all happy memories and so many reasons to cherish the time we had with Bill. We were lucky to have him for as long as we did. And the State of Idaho too, had an honest, good and dedicated officer and friend.
The grand and great grandkids missed out on a loving, fun grandpa who would have been so proud of all of them and who now watches over the grandson he held and loved.

Terry said...

Great job Jodi. My thoughts are with you and your family today.

Dee said...

I strongly believe that Bill is in the lives of everyone in our family, though most times we don't realize it. But he is there when you need him---to talk to, for solace, to guide if you think deeply.

Brandon and Lynsay said...

Jodi, I just read through all of your posts. What an amazing thing you have done to carry on your dad's legacy. It was so neat to read and learn all about him. You should have these posts turned into a book for a keepsake. xoxo

Jodi said...

Thanks Lyndsay, it was a fun project. I actually do turn my blog into a book every 2 years. I'm glad you enjoyed the stories.

NancyAnne said...

What wonderful memories, and tribute to a creative, caring, amazing man with unimaginable integrity!! For the grandchildren and great grandchildren, Bill was an extremely gifted and loved man. Thank-you Pogue family for a great walk down memory lane.

Jodi said...

Glad you found it Nancy. You were one of his favorite "kids" you know. I'll never forget the time he "fixed" your camera. HA!

CSL Blog said...

I just came across this blog while reading about Mr. Pogue. I've lived in Boise all my life--when I was a child, just a few blocks from 2006 Canal, practically Bill's neighbor; and now, behind Vista Village, still on the beloved Bench.

Bill Pogue was a hero, and while nothing is as horrible as his ending so early and so pointlessly, the sick worship of his killer is a tragedy unto itself.

Thank you for this blog, and with sharing with those of us who care memories of a TRUE Idaho and American hero. I read every word, and it touched me deeply.

Matthew John Bailey, Boise, Idaho

Jodi said...

Matthew, thank you so much for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the stories and thank you for posting!