Friday, December 31, 2010

The Hobbitt... Day 25/30

I appologize that I have done sometimes up to 3 or 4 posts a day over the last week and a half. But, I'm almost caught up to date! The following is a post from my sister Linda...


I always loved the funny cartoons dad drew and his more realistic drawings simply fascinated me. So, when I graduated from High School, what I really wanted for my graduation present was for him to draw one of the characters from my favorite book, “The Hobbit,” by JRR Tolkien.



I found the description in the early pages of the book. It described the Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, sitting outside his Hobbit Hole smoking ‘pipeweed’. I asked dad to read it, and then draw his interpretation. I didn’t know if it would be one of his cartoons, or one of his more realistic drawings. To my utter delight, it was a combination of the two. Dad had it professionally framed at a frame shop, and wrote this sweet note on the back of it for me.




I’ve always felt very fortunate to have an ‘original’ from dad, just for me. This is truly one of my most prized possessions.




Thank you, dad. You always made me feel special.

I love you and miss you so much.

Your daughter,

Lala

1 comment:

Dee said...

How sweet that is. And it is just for you. It was something you wanted and something he could do for you with so much love.

What a lovely imagination he had. And in so many ways, including his drawings, he expressed his soft side.