Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bill Pogue's Artwork... Day 5/30

I will be gone tomorrow, so I will do days 6 and 7 on Saturday. Just sayin'...

It always fascinated me as a child, to watch dad draw. He would sketch something with a pencil then get out a jar of black ink and a his nib dip pens.



He would draw the most wonderful pictures - but the next day I would almost always find them torn in half in the wastebasket. We finally told him how wonderful his work was and how much other people would enjoy it as well. Not too long after, he started getting more serious about his work and the pieces ending up in the trash became fewer and fewer.

He bought a big magnifying glass on an arm with a light attached that he could screw onto his drawing table. He used the magnifying glass because it was very difficult for him to draw only having the use of one eye. But he would spend hours and hours placing tiny dots of ink in such a way that it turned into magnificent work.

Dad's art told such wonderful stories. He loved old cowboys, anything from the old west, trappers, hunters, and wildlife. I think, however, what impressed me the most was the fact that he used the faces of people he worked with in his drawings and each picture portrays his own hands. It wasn't just art - it was his soul.

A few years before he died, he started selling his work at Brown's Art Gallery downtown. People from all over the country bought it and in fact, most of his original works are gone. But fortunately, we do have prints.

Lady Friends Commin' was one of his last works. I love the idea of two old cowboys giving eachother haircuts before seeing their girls. Where did he get the idea for such a thing?



First Grade Reader is my personal favorite. The face used in this print was dad's good friend from Fish and Game, John Beecham. I love the idea of an old cowboy trying to teach himself to read.



The Cowboy and the Bird was by far, the most popular of dad's work. After he died, it was the first to sell out. We went for many years with only a few copies we had saved for family, but last spring we had some prints made.

The face dad used in this was another friend from Fish and Game, Phil Swanstrom.



While dad loved drawing the rough, tough cowboys of the old west, each of them had a soft side that he loved to tell through his work. Each one said so much about him and how he looked at life.

It was, in fact, his artwork that helped to catch his killer. His print, Mountain Man was used to raise the reward money that helped catch Claude Dallas. We sold them again in order to raised the $25,000 it took to reacapture him after his escape.

I'm so greatful to have this wonderful legacy that dad left for us. Someday, if any of the kids or grandkids want any of his work, it's here for them. At their ages right now it's not their style but as they get older, I hope they will appreciate it for what it is. The heart and soul of a very important man.

10 comments:

Casey said...

Wow, I hadn't seen these first two before. It's hard for me to believe that anyone who saw the gentleness of these pictures could ever fall for the line that your dad "brought it on himself." Your dad obviously had a respect for life, both human and non-human, and would never have taken it lightly.

Jodi said...

Casey, his artwork definately reflected his life. I think that's why I love his prints so much because it reminds me what a gentle soul he had.

Dee said...

Bill was such a softie-----he expected people to do their best, to follow the law, but he had so much love for those who knew him,---family, friends and critters.
I love his drawings and the last one we saw---and found in pieces in the wastebasket, was of a cowboy and tiny puppy. It was good but something about didn't please him--so, rip---and into the round file.

kate said...

Great post sis! He had such a soft heart, despite his "bad-ass" reputation.

Jodi said...

Mom, I have that picture of the cowboy and the puppy - torn right down the middle but one of us saved it out of the trash!

kate said...

Oh, and I forgot to tell you when you mentioned it in the post the other day, WE have the box of shark teeth. I think mom gave it to me a few years ago when it became obvious that Anna shared dad's interest in natural history and fossils and stuff.

idgal82 said...

I am very glad to say my husband and I have "The First Grade Reader" print passed on to us after his mother, Carolyn Walker, (Hull) who had worked with Bill, passed away. It hangs proudly in our family room!
Stacy and Lauren Walker

Jodi said...

Stacy and Lauren, thanks so much for the comment. I always like to hear from someone who has some of dad's artwork. The First Grade Reader was definately my favorite. It told such a wonderful story. I'm so glad you're enjoying the print. Thanks for letting me know!

Anonymous said...

Jodi,
I don't know if you remember me, but I was the step-son of Chuck White in Emmett, ID. I spent some time as a young kid with Him, you, and Dave Cadwalleder (sp), feeding the elk in Garden Valley. I think I was about 13 or 14 years old
At the time.
I remember the first time I was introduced to your dad's artwork. It was the man feeding the baby-bird in the best. I fell in love with his art right then and there. It inspired me to begin drawing as well. I am now in an art class in college and will be writing about his style and his influences on my drawings.
I do hope this finds you well, and it was good to find this page! A.J. LaBrosse (White)

Jodi said...

I would love to see your artwork A.J.! You can message me on Fb if you're on there. Thanks for letting me know that dads artwork influenced you, that means a lot to me.