Monday, December 20, 2010

One of My Favorite Pictures... Day 16/30

This is one of my favorite pictures of dad. Maybe partly because it's so mysterious to me. I'm not sure where it was taken - looks like the Owyhee canyon area, possibly Jarbidge. I don't know, but it looks like someplace I would love to be. The man with dad was one of his best friends from Fish and Game, Jerry Theissen. It doesn't look like they were working because they aren't in uniform, but dad never went camping unless he was working. He always said he got enough of sleeping of the ground from work. So, what were they doing and where were they?

But what puzzles me the most is the quote that he wrote on the picture when he gave it to Jerry. I wish I knew exactly what he meant...



"If there is a future for wild things, then it is the burden of those who have reached farther than me, to save them for the rest of us. It will be done by those whose convictions were forged in campfires,

Bill"

11 comments:

kate said...

I've always thought that was a quote from A Sand County Almanac. I'll flip through it when I get home and see if it's in there.

I love that picture too. Wish we knew more about it. I bet Jerry would know.

Dee said...

Not Jarbidge. It is a canyon on the ----um Owyhee River????

He could be so profound sometimes, and so brilliant ! Then I would find he used a quote or made up some crazy statistic. !!!!!

jaci said...

If you google the quote, Kate, it is attributed to your dad before he died (first several hits all point to Bill Pogue).

Not Jarbidge - I'd recognize Jarbidge. I'm thinking it is on the upper end of the Owyhee (Idaho section) somewhere. It's definitely someplace I'd like to explore. ;-)

Jodi said...

Mom called Gary Loveland (retired Idaho Game Warden and friend of dad's) last night. He says it was Jump Creek. Jaci, come over this summer and we'll see if we can find it! Only about an hour from here!

Dee said...

ooops, sorry Jodi. Evidently I slurred last night.

Its Jack's Creek. which eventually empties into Strike Reservoir. Looks as if it is tucked into a nice canyon. very pretty.

Dee said...

wow, if that is really true, Jaci, then he was more profound than I gave him credit for. He was such a BS er that I didn't believe half of what he said. Sorry, Bill.

Dee said...

Kate, I tried to find Jerry's phone # but decided to call Gary. It was good to talk to him. He sounds just the same.

kate said...

I'm shocked that was his quote! Like mom said, he was usually so full of sh*t (in a good way, of course) that we could never tell when he actually knew what he was talking about. ;)

Jodi said...

He did kind of remind us of Cliff Clavin didn't he. If he didn't know the answer, he'd give us some big explanation that sounded perfectly acceptable to see if we'd believe it!

Jacob Whittaker said...

I read this quote as Grampa saying that he is just one man who loves nature. And though he spends every day doing his best to protect it, it is and always will be the future politicians and leaders who spend time in the great outdoors who will ultimately be the ones who make the biggest impact in wildlife conservation.

Jodi said...

Jake, I knew if anyone could really understand what he was saying it would be you. It all makes sense now, thanks for making sense of something that has baffled me forever.