Friday, March 20, 2009

God Speed Valerie Agosta...

About a year ago, I had the opportunity to live the job of my dreams, even if it was only briefly. I got to work as a Private Investigator with the Spy Moms. The first time I met Val was at the airport, she was watching for a man to get off an airplane to see if he had a woman with him. It was so exciting and right then, I was hooked! Val took me under her wing and taught me so much from digging through garbage to doing hours and hours of boring surveillance. She had the kindest heart yet she was a damn good PI. I didn't get to work for very long as Val's cancer came back and she had to quit the job she loved so much.

Last night I went to pick mom up at the airport and picked up the newspaper. There on the obituary page was my friend Val. How odd that my relationship with Val began and ended at the airport. She fought a good fight...

Valerie was first diagnosed with breast cancer in December of 1999. She endured two mastectomies, numerous radiation and chemotherapy treatments. She never complained about her situation. Instead she took on the cancer and battled it toe to toe. Eventually her body wore down but her spirit never did. During the last nine years Valerie started Spy Moms Private Investigative Services. She became an excellent detective and served many clients, most for no charge. Valerie's Private Detective talents and her strong desire to beat cancer earned her guest appearances on 20/20, MSNBC, The Today Show, along with many other TV, radio and magazine articles written about her. Valerie was a giver and touched the lives of many people. The family requests that any memorial for Valerie be sent to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure to support the fight for breast cancer prevention and to find a cure.


You were my hero sweet friend and I'll be walking for you during the Komen Race this year. God Speed...

8 comments:

Dee said...

You have talked about Val so often, and had so much respect and caring for her. She touched many lives, made a difference in them--including yours.
God Bless you Val, for giving Jodi your friendship and the opportunity to be a "spy".

kate said...

Oooh, that's so sad. She touched the lives of many.

JACKI said...

wow... that is so sad. I met her only once but from what I've heard from you, it sounds like she led a very satisfying life. I'm so glad you got to know her & she was able to touch your life too but it's just so sad to see anyone die at such a young age. I too will walk for her at Race For The Cure.

Cancer Mommy said...

RIP my BC sister.

H said...

That is so sad... :( I'm really sorry to hear that.

It seems that everyone is losing someone. A friend from Micron just lost her stepson that she raised as her own. He was 21... And you've lost your friend and mentor, Val. Someone lost their mother. And daughter. It's just so sad..

Death sucks.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm Val's daughter Christine. I just happened to be updating information on my mom's book, Spy Mom, and came across your blog. It's so nice to hear how she touched people's lives.

Jodi said...

Hi Christine, I heard your mom talk about you often. I still miss her and think about her so many times.

How is the book coming along? I know she was working so hard on getting that done. It sounds like you're making sure that happens. I'd love to know when it's published so I can get a copy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodi! The book will be available on April 1st at most retailers and online! She was able to finish the book before she passed...however, I wish she was here to see it published. I've set up a blog to talk about the book:

http://spymombook.wordpress.com/ and also a Twitter account: @spymombook.