Friday, September 7, 2012

To My Son...



I want you to know how incredibly proud we are of you.  You're the first one in the family to graduate from college since your Grandpa Pogue.  He would have been so proud.  I can't say I know how hard it was for you to accomplish this but I know you were determined.  You accomplished this task while being deployed to both Afghanistan and Iraq.  While I'm sure it helped fill the time you were away, I know it also had to be incredibly difficult.  I'm sure there were many times that you wanted to take those few available hours and sleep instead of study, but you didn't.  You graduated as an Intelligence Analyst and with a goal in mind.

I'm now sad that our country couldn't do more to help you.  It angers me that you came home injured and weren't fixed and that you applied for so many jobs in the few months you were home and your degree alone wasn't good enough.  I don't understand how our government can tell the private sector that they have to ensure that their military employees have their jobs when they return from deployment, yet they can do away with your full-time job and hope that you can find something else.  I'm so sorry that you now have to leave your family just a few days after your son is born in order to take a job that will help you get back on your feet.

I'm worried about you.  I know you'll be fine and that while this isn't what you hoped for and dreamed about, this is what you feel needs to be done.  You had such dreams of what would be and I know that having to return to Afghanistan for a year was the farthest thing from your mind.

Know however, that as a family we will be here for yours.  We will do whatever we need to to help put your mind at ease as to how your family is doing.  Your brother and sister love you so much and will help your family as well.

Hopefully this year will pass quickly and that it will help you gain the "experience" that you need to acquire your goals when you return home.

I'm so proud of you and all that you have accomplished.  I will think about you every day - and every day will say a quick prayer for you.  I know Grampa Pogue will be with you.  I would love it if you would take my 'Caught in the Act of Doing Good' coin and carry it with you.  Maybe it will remind you of the fact that Grampa Pogue is with you every minute.

Remember that I love you more than you will ever know.  Be proud of your accomplishments and look forward to the future.  Be safe, be strong, and use this experience as an opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in the field you have chosen.  You and your sister are such wonderful inspirations to me  - You Are My Sunshine.

3 comments:

kate said...

Awwww. This is beautiful, sister.

I had no idea he was even considering going back. I can't imagine how difficult that decision must have been for him, leaving again as a new baby joins his family. But it does sound like the right thing to do, on many levels. I'm proud of you too, Jake, for so many things. xo

Dee said...

I, too am so very proud of you. You are a good man, strong, determined, willing to do what is necessary to support your sweet family. I am so sorry that everything was so difficult for you when you came home--finding a job, even in this economy, shouldn't have been so bad and frustrating for you. There should have been possibilities available for you. But you never gave up. You made every possible effort.

Know that I will also ( along with all your family and friends) be thinking of you every day and wishing you the best that it can be for you. I love you !

Anonyvox said...

Oh man, I didn't know Jake was headed back again. I'm sorry it didn't work out more easily so he could stay home. Sending lots of good thoughts for an easy, safe trip with good things back home at the end of it all.