Wednesday, November 30, 2011

We Got Trouble Folks, Right Here in River City! That's T-R-O-U-B-L-E!

I'm a small-town gal. I've never liked cities. That's the reason that I love Hidden Springs and the lifestyle that goes with living here.  I knew this was the place for me when I was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time, just a few months after moving here.  My neighbors, who I didn't really know at the time brought dinner to our house for the next 7 weeks.  Every night.  Everyone in town participated - how could you not love people who were willing to do that?  It was something I'll never forget.  And the people are still like that. 

I love the fact that Boise is just a few short, beautiful miles away, yet I have the small-town atmosphere of Hidden Springs. I hear coyotes instead of sirens at night.  I've always said that it's as close to living back in Garden Valley as I can get and still be close to town so that hubby can work. I love that Hidden Springs is so diverse. We have young people, retired people, Jews, Christians, Mormons, atheists, blacks, whites, Asians, lesbians, and hell, maybe even swingers living here - and we all get along!

Tonight, we have an "informational" meeting to ask questions of those who are running for Town Council. It's never been something I felt like I needed to get involved in because frankly, we have wonderful people who have always run and been elected that live here and want to be involved for the same reasons that make me love it. They love the Merc, knowing their neighbors, keeping the charm of the homes and streets, keeping the clubhouse, pools, common areas, farm, and community barn beautiful and functional, and making sure it stays a peaceful, beautiful place to live.

However, this year, we have "The Slate of 4." They're a scary group. About 2 weeks ago, they went door-to-door with fliers talking about their "platform" and all the changes they want to make to our little town and the Town Council. I've been laughing ever since. They're obviously all from big cities and had no idea the firestorm they were igniting by riling the neighbors - the Hidden Springs Facebook page (and personal email inboxes) have lit up! When they don't like the tone of the FB page they post comments about "slander, libel, and lies." They really should have done their homework on moving to a small community from a big city and how to get along with the folks that live there and love their community!

One thing they want to do (I know this is insignificant but I hate the thought of it) is make sure that our TC meetings are now done using "Roberts Rule of Order." Have you ever been to a meeting that follows Roberts Rule of Order"? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. One of our Board of Directors insisted we follow that format for the Peace Officers' Memorial meetings a few years ago. There's even a book you're supposed to buy and read so you will know, and can follow, the proper format. I got mine free, but never even opened the cover. I hate it - and I make it obvious at our meetings that I ignore it. I won't call Rich Wills "Mr. Chairman." I won't, I won't, I won't!

So, the neighbors right here in River City have called each other out to attend the meeting tonight. The preschool is even open and has offered free child care so that everyone can go. The "Slate of 4" have no idea what they're in for. But, it's going to be SO MUCH FUN to watch them find out!

4 comments:

Sheri said...

ooh, can't wait to hear how it goes!! Keep us posted please.

Dee said...

yes, could be some fireworks. too bad we can't video tape-----

jaci said...

You probably will only get eight minutes to speak your piece and then they shut you down.

Seriously? One of their platforms is Roberts Rules of Order? LAME.

Anxiously awaiting the results of the fireworks. :)

Jodi said...

Well, things went quite well. In anticipation of the "fireworks," they had appointed a Moderator and we had rules. Damn!

However, my friend Kathy, who was sitting next to me, posted the following (I had a left before this happened)

"Sometimes I wish I didn't have so many opinions and more control over my outspoken spontaneity! I guess its one of my "gifts"

Now, who wouldn't think this had come out of my mouth?