Saturday, September 10, 2011

Oh Roaming Gnome, Roaming Gnome, Wherefore Art Thou, Roaming Gnome?

Several years ago, before she moved up here to Hidden Springs, mom was trying to sell her house.  Some of her Bunco friends who are Catholic told her about burying a St. Joseph statue in her yard.  Supposedly that will help you sell. 

Becoming desperate to sell, because it's so hard to compete with the short sales in the area, I thought I'd look it up to find out how and where to "bury" St. Joseph.  I found something I wasn't prepared for.  You can actually buy St. Joseph in a friggin' kit.  Yep, he can be bought for anywhere from $1.39 (cheap plastic) to $27.89 (pewter).  Some of them are labeled "EcoJoe."  They're made of clay.  Seems kind of sacrilegious to call him Joe...  Anyway, who knew you could buy it in a kit?



Well, I don't have time to order St. Joseph in a kit so the closest thing I have on hand is my Roaming Gnome.  So, he went into a 30 cent garbage bag and Ival buried him on the farm.  I hope he can remember where he put him so we can dig him back up.

St. Joseph is supposed to be buried upside down.  I hope it doesn't break his pointy hat.

We only have a few days left.  We've got the house for sale by owner and are taking it off the market the end of September.  We'll try again next spring.

7 comments:

Dee said...

No wonder you haven't sold. He is supposed to be right side up. St. Joseph got me in trouble-uh, ok, I got myself in trouble , as when I heard that I made fun of it and three of the Catholics fainted.

kate said...

Yeah, St. Joseph didn't work worth a sh*t for us either. I guess, yeah, we EVENTUALLY sold the house, but it had nothin' to do with him being buried in our yard. Although a big Catholic Mexican family finally bought it...so who knows...

Jodi said...

Well then Kate, I'd say it worked! Oh hell, it was just a last ditch effort, and was a gnome instead of St. Joseph, and we buried it up on the property instead of in our yard. But hell, who knows!

jaci said...

Maybe someone named Amelie will buy the house... (reference: the foreign film "Amelie" where the traveling gnome was introduced).

Hope it works for you, Jodi!

Dee said...

New traditions are good-----can bring excellent results.


GO GNOME GO GNOME !!!!

Anonyvox said...

I have a non-Catholic friend who swears by St. Joseph.

I think burying an upside down gnome on your property is supposed to create a gopher infestation, actually. To cure it, you have to bury a gargoyle sideways.

Jodi said...

Oh crap, we already have gophers. As long as it doesn't bring zombies. The gargoyle thing sounds like more work, I'll just drink a bloody mary instead...