Friday, May 6, 2011

Some Realtors - Gotta Love 'Em...

Don't get me wrong.  I'm happy that we've been showing our house at least 3 times a week lately.  Traffic has definitely picked up since the weather has warmed and the sun has been shining.  There's just nothing about spring that doesn't make you want to go out and buy a new home.

Most realtors are really considerate.  I have one local Realtor and her husband who have showed the house several times that always try to give us ample warning.  Yet, I realize that's not always possible.  I am however, getting really tired of getting calls at work from my husband saying "Someone is showing the house this morning" so I have to leave work for a few minutes and run home and make the beds, tidy up, and put all the stuff on the kitchen counter into the oven.  Yes, my oven is usually packed tight with bread, cast iron pans, paper towels, and paperwork.  In fact, it stays in the oven now unless I'm baking something.  I don't like having anything on the counter - I want the kitchen to look bigger and that means - empty.

I think however, what is going to be the death of any "good" brains cells I may have had left after chemo is - the Realtors.  "We'll be there at 4" - and they show up at 2:15 - so I'm sneaking the cat litter box out the back way as they stand in my kitchen.  Or, I really like this one on a Saturday when everyone is home - "We'll be there sometime between 2 and 4:30."  WTH????  You can't narrow it down just a tad so we don't have to vacate the premises for 2 1/2 hours on a Saturday? 

Then, this one was my favorite.  I got a call at 7pm last Sunday night.  "I'm at the Merc with my clients and we wondered if we could come and see your house real quick."  You've got to be kidding me.  Ival was already laying in bed watching tv.  I hollered upstairs and told him to get his ass out of bed and help me pick up the house because I had talked the realtor into giving me 15 minutes to pick up.  He "hurried" up and managed to pick up his dirty clothes in the bedroom while I ran around the house like a madman putting shit in the oven, cupboards, and under couch cushions to hide everything.  I used to spend 3-4 hours on my hardwood floors before a showing - I don't do that anymore.

Unfortunately, we do actually live in this house.  AND, I have a teenager.  So, I just can't keep the house perfectly spotless unless I want to spend every waking second following everyone around to pick up after them.  Yet, I want my house to look as close to perfect as possible when someone comes to see it. 

I have learned one thing. If I'm ever in the market for a house again (and I won't be.  Elmer and I are firmly planting our butts on the property), I'm going to open the oven, look under couch cushions, under beds, behind pillows, and open all the cupboards in every house I look at, just to see what's there.  I think that would be fun.

Later today, I'm going to post some pictures of a new house that's being built up here in Hidden Springs.  It's freakin' awesome!

3 comments:

Dee said...

That house you are going to show is YOU ! It belongs on your property.

I hope some day those nervy Realtors get their just desserts. and I don't mean the sweet kind !

kate said...

Oh god, I'm laughing so hard! It really does SUCK having your house on the market and having to keep it clean. I hope all of this is over very soon for you!!

jaci said...

Oh Lord... I work with Realtors. This is so typical of some of them. You should've had "by appointment only" on your listing. Then you could say, "Um, now is not really a good time... how about tomorrow at ten?"

I am praying for a speedy sale for you (and a GOOD Realtor on both sides!!)