Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Farm...

If there's one thing that Elmer and I have in common, it's our love of animals. We've been seriously looking for property in our immediate area and so I continually dream about how wonderful it would be to have some livestock and use it to help children in some way. I would love to have some summer camps for children in the foster care system. I can't imagine not having a family...

So, I've been looking at animals, dreaming of what we'll get when we finally find that perfect place - and I know it will happen someday!

I'd love to find some American Saddlebred horses. My mom and dad bought me one when I was in high school. She was 22 when I got her and her name was Nellie. She was the most awesome horse with a gait called a singlefoot that was just like sitting in a rocking chair. Nellie looked just like this...


And miniature donkeys. Donkeys have such interesting personalities. Don't you think kids would love these?


Goats. Gotta love goats. I shall name the very first one Kate - after my sister who also loves goats...


We love chickens. We already have the chickens. We have about 20 but don't tell anyone - we're only supposed to have 3...


I've always wanted an Alpaca. Maybe 2...


Yep, someday we'll have the property and the animals. We'll put up the wall tents we've dreamed about having and we'll have kids. Lots of kids who would enjoy a week of fun and games.


I know it sounds corney, but it fills my heart with joy every time I think about it.

Do you have a dream?

6 comments:

ceci bennett said...

And I know my husband Rick can help you find the perfect property when you are ready!

kate said...

I love everything about your idea! You will make it happen, I just know it.

What did you guys find out about that land you looked at the day after the party?

I know a kid who would come work for you in the summers! :)

Dee said...

I love your dream, Jodi ! Its a beautiful dream. And there you are, you have your first employee--or volunteer. I think her mother just volunteered her services !
I adore Alpacas, they have the sweetest faces. Then there are goofy goats!

Jodi said...

Kate, we're still looking at it. Figuring prices for foundation, well, electrictity, etc. so we can hopefully make an intelligent offer.

I just found an American Saddlebred horse for sale in Wa for $1,800 and her name is Annie Lorrie! How funny is that! They have some beautiful horses.

http://www.palominosaddlebred.com/chestnut.htm

jaci said...

I love your dream! I think you should throw in a Scottish Highland cow or two, too.

And I really hope you find the horse of your dreams. :)

Jodi said...

Oh Jaci, I could actually russle a Scottish Highland cow from the neighbors up the road. They have a whole slew of them! They're so beautiful with that long hair!