Saturday, May 30, 2009

Dogtown...

Have you heard about this wonderful show on the National Geographic Channel? My neighbor has what I would consider a dream job working for them. They are the most wonderful animal organization and are located in the beautiful red rocks in southern Utah. This organization is called Best Friends Animal Sanctuary and they basically take the worst-of-the-worst animals that have little chance of finding homes and make them well and socially acceptable - which means adoptable. I've started watching (ok, I'm addicted to) their show on tv called "Dogtown" which is just about the dogs at the sanctuary. They believe that every animal can be rehabilitated and they even took the worst of Michael Vick's fighting pit bulls and spent many months working with them to make them adoptable. I'm so impressed with the work they do.

So far, I've found several horses, bunnies, cats, dogs, ferrets, and oh, a squirrel that really need to come live with us. One day, I want to make a trip down there to spend a week and volunteer.

This is a picture of Bonnie and Clyde. You can read their story here.


You can check out their website here! No more homeless pets!

5 comments:

Dee said...

What a sweet story ! Read the comments and one mentioned "orbs" on each horse. I see a small circle of light on each---guess that's it.

I hope you get to go there some day. It is your type of thing.

And there you are----up at 5:00 again !

Jodi said...

Yea, aren't they cute! I wish I had a place to put horses, they only charge $500 for them. Yep, someday (maybe next summer!) I'm going down there - make it a road trip!

kate said...

Oh geez....I'm going to have to share this with Anna. She certainly shares your drive to rescue every animal on the planet. Of course, she'd prefer to rescue every HORSE that needs a home. She keeps looking up horses for sale on the internet and coming to me and saying "Mom!! I found a horse that is FREE to a good home!" It's like, yeah, it's free, but where the hell do we keep it? It might be free, but it would cost $500 a month to board and feed it. Sigh. Someday....

That would be a really cook way to spend a week. Wait...your neighbor in HS works in Southern Utah??

Ok geez this is turning into the world's longest comment...but a girl I went to highschool with (and have reconnected with via FB) volunteers for an animal rescue organization in Boise. Right now she is rehabing a baby beaver, several teeeeny bunnies and various other things. Want me to find out the name of it? You could get involved right there in Boise...

Unknown said...

Stories like this restore my faith in humanity. Thanks for sharing.

Jodi said...

I know Kiki, so wonderful! Have you watched that show yet? I love it!