Friday, January 25, 2008

OK, Here's The Skinny... (no offense to those of you who try to tuck your belly fat into your pants)




Here's what I expect from Belize if we go in August. I expect to see beautiful beaches, the most gorgeous turquoise water, quaint stores, and probably not very many tourists since it will be considered hurricane season.

After leaving the beach area, I expect to see the areas of poverty, maybe much like you see in Mexico. Belize is still considered a third world country. But from everything I've heard and read, the people are hard-working and the nicest people you'd want to meet. There are only 4 highways in the entire country and I imagine that no matter which one you travel, you'll see little shacks scattered around. This won't bother me. It would bother me if they were a country beggars. Don't think I could live with that!

I expect to see wonderful jungle and farmland. I HOPE to go there and find out that Ival and I love it. Ival is a dreamer. For the last several years, all he talks about is moving up north someday to retire on a little piece of land where we can build a tiny place and have our goats and chickens and all the other little animals that he loves. There's nothing I'd like better than for Ival to be able to live this simple dream. But I have to admit, while I'd certainly move up north with him, I'd much rather find a place like Belize to have our little acreage. And we can buy 50 acres in Belize a LOT cheaper than 50 acres up north!

Here's a pretty good article I found that you might like to read:
http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/travel/21Belize.html

I hope we actually get to go - I can't wait!

9 comments:

kate said...

Was that headline really necessary?? I think not.

Anonymous said...

GO.

You only live once, don't wait for a second chance to do something truly special and awesome.

Dee said...

Uh, is that the house that's for sale? Where's my room?

kate said...

Mom, your "room" is under the porch. There should be several furry animals to keep you warm.

Jodi said...

Maybe the headline wasn't necessary, but damn, wasn't it clever! Gob, I just crack myself up sometimes!

kate said...

Just remember who won our little wrestling contest, skinny minnie. I'll take you on again.

Linda said...

You put up that picture of that little house like there's something wrong with living in a little tiny shack! I just happen to know that I, for one, would be happy as a clam in there.

Ya better buy several acres, so we can put up several shacks, otherwise, you'll have mom and I in there with you!

Count me in!

Linda said...

And Kate, you DID NOT win against Jodi, you were a no-show at the appointed time!

And I don't remember any foot race....

Jodi said...

How could you forget the foot race - The Memorial Walk - and you and I had a foot race along the park - and I kicked your arse...

Everybody saw it.