Thursday, January 31, 2008

Crainial Prosthetic or Natural?

My sister-in-law is going through chemotherapy right now. She has joined the club that no one wants to belong to. Our club has very strict criteria in order to join. You must be either male or female, aged infant to 112. You have to be of any race and live anywhere in the world.

She's a brave gal and I know she'll get through it fine. She has a great attitude and willing to laugh about it all. You have to be able to do that - laugh about every part of it no matter out disgusting or awful it is. I truly believe that while going through cancer, laughter is the best medicine.

I had the most amazing support. My sisters and brother, my in-law family, my mother and husband, my kids, my neighbors and friends, and my best buddy Sue. She's been through cancer 5 times and she's friggin' awesome. Once, she and I had cancer together. I discovered that cancer is a lot more tolerable if your best friend has it at the same time.



She and I both have the same oncologist, in fact, it's the same oncologist that Pam has. He wrote both of us prescriptions for crainial prosthetics. We both got wigs that we occasionally wore, but found that doo-rags were the way to go. They keep your head warm and don't seem to slip around like a wig does. So, for me, getting the wig was good - it's nice to have for special occasions, but for every day - natural is nice. In fact, I still have my wig and hats, once you've joined the club, you never know if you're going to be required to go through initiation again. Maybe someday I'll feel confident enough to donate it to MSTI

So, dear sister-in-law Pam, you now belong to the club that no one wants to join - but you are in such good company. We will all be with you as you journey through the tough times. Laugh - every single day!

9 comments:

Dee said...

Look at those beautiful girls ! And beautiful smiles too.
Jodi, your post is written so well, you should write a book, or at least a magazine article. You have the gift.
I am so very proud of you and your attitude thru your "club initiation". And Pam knows you are there for her.
LOVE YOU !

kate said...

This is a GREAT post, sis. I agree with mom, you should write a story or book.

I think Pam's got the laughing thing down; did you see the pictures on their blog of her getting shorn? Very cute!

Jodi said...

Yea, aren't those funny pics? She's going to do well I know. Hey Kate, I thought of a GREAT home business, it would take some research and a lot of wit, but over the years, I've looked everywhere for funny cards for cancer patients. There is no such thing. I did find a card I sent to Pam with Rosanna Rosanna Danna on it. On the outside is her picture and the words "So,". When you open it, it says "how are things with you?" and it has her voice saying "I'm despressed, I can't sleep, my face broke out, I'm nacious, I'm constipated, my feet swelled, my gums are bleeding, my sinuses are clogged, I got heartburn, I'm cranky and I have gas!"

She takes the card to every appointment to show everyone and our oncolgist and his nurse want some to give to the patients who need a laugh because every one of the things mentioned are things you get when you go through chemo.

We could have so much fun trying to make funny cards for cancer patients! We could make it a family business!

Dee said...

Jodi, what a fantastic idea ! With the wit that you'all have, it would work ! Its a need that you can fill. And that's what makes a business a success.

JACKI said...

you know, this may sound weird...
but I have always thought that women who are going through cancer and have a bald head are SO BEAUTIFUL. They just have this glow that no one else has. Its almost like a pregnant women has a "pregnancy glow". I think all bald women should just sport the "dew rag".

kate said...

That IS a great idea!! How do we get started? I can't draw worth a damn...do we use photos or what?

Dee said...

by the way, I adore your summer home. Its lovely !

Jodi said...

Thanks, we just got it. Can't wait to use it this summer. In fact, I was thinking we could take it up to Coeur d'Alene for our girls weekend this year.

Your thoughts?

Dee said...

Absolutely ! and think of all the new friends ( stares ) we would get as we merrily drove up the highway ! CHARMING