Monday, October 19, 2009

Wait, I'm Trying to Downsize...

I spent the weekend going through my sister's storage unit. She has moved to Anacortes, Washington and is planning on spending the rest of her life sailing the world with her man friend. So, it was time to clean out her storage unit.

Boxes, and boxes, and boxes of stuff. First thing we did was decide what went to the Youth Ranch - two small trailer loads. After that, she took what she wanted (not much!) and Jacki and I took the rest. It was just like Christmas! My sister and I used to buy and sell antiques, we especially loved the McCall Antique Show that we did for a few years. So, it was fun to see some of the old stuff from the shows, things that dad had brought home to mom from when he was a Marine in the Korean War, vintage clothes, and yes, some things that I just said "Well, if you're going to take that to the second hand store, put it in my pile."

The entire back end of my truck is crammed with boxes. I think I have the day off today, so I'm going to unload it all and get started sorting. Can't wait to see what I find.

So why, when I'm trying to "simplify", did I bring home more stuff? Oh hell, who knows. Ok, I do know. Old things bring me such joy and comfort. I'm sorry, but for the next few days, I'm afraid I'm going to bombard you with pictures of some of my best treasures. If you don't love old stuff now, by the time I'm done with you, you will!

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Can't wait to see your treasures!

Dee said...

Me too. A lot of it was my old treasures that I kept sending home with people when I was downsizing to move into a new house. Way too wonderful to get rid of but something that needed to be kept in the familly to pass on. Things that belong to grand and great-grand parents are real treasures. there is always a story behind each one.