Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Original Hillbilly...

This is my older sibling Steve, he's the original hillbilly. In fact, they don't come any more hillbilly than him. This is his best outfit. He wears this top hat only on special occasions - his special occasions include performing a wedding (WHAT???? I'll explain this later), at hunting camp, or on a cruise (yes, he wore this on our cruise). It's scary how much he looks like dad.He was my mentor growing up. He taught me how to tell time, how to fish, how to hunt, and how to cuss with the best of them! We spent many days growing up walking up the creek from out little cabin on Alder Creek in search of grouse or laying on our stomachs in the middle of a hay field popping ground squirrels. He always had time for me.

Steve has a wonderful wife Marlette who he's married twice. She's a saint. She's also the life of the party whenever she's around. Nothing is out of bounds! They have two wonderful kids Billy (named after his grampa Pogue) and Sarah. Steve is such a loving father.About 15 years ago, Steve and some of his friends from Horseshoe Bend started the Church of the Great Outdoors. They are all spiritual people who believe that God created this wonderful earth and in order to honor God, they spend Sundays outdoors - doing what they love most. So, he performed the marriage ceremony for my son Jake and his wife Heather. It was awesome.

When I went through chemo, he shaved his head the same day I had to shave mine. What more can I say about that?



He's definately one of a kind! He calls me at least once a week just to tell me he loves me. I love him more than I can ever say.

5 comments:

kate said...

I don't know about anyone else, but the second picture doesn't show.

Our brother. Oh man. One of a kind, that's for sure. He's like an M&M: soft on the inside but crunchy on the outisde. I love that guy.

PS. You forgot to mention "snipe hunting"!

Jodi said...

Hmmmmm. It shows on mine - it's Steve riding in the Payton's wagon.

kate said...

I can see it now.

Dee said...

Steve IS one of a kind and I'm so glad he's ours. He's so loving and also so sensitive----gets his feelings hurt easily----he just THINKS he's tough. We love you Steve !!!!!!!!!

H said...

You and Steve look so much alike with naked heads! :) Heehee... There's no one else I would have wanted to perform our ceremony. That is, of course, unless it was Kate, who has apparently retired. =P